Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Word From Moses (Reflections on Lent 3, Year A)

Image result for Moses
Inspired by Exodus 17:1-7

People of Israel! This is a solemn assembly before the Lord!

That means you, Hebrews! Move, you sons of Jacob. If I don’t see your Chosen-by-God butts out here in front of me and solemnly assembled by the time that cloud covers the sun, you are going to be one sorry, thirsty, miserable bunch of worthless Egyptian slaves!

Alright, you people, avert your faces. I said avert! Don’t you eye-ball me ‘cause I’m ashamed to look at your pathetic mugs.

I’ve just had me a little talk with the Commander. That would be Adonai Eloheinu the Lord Our God Almighty Creator and Ruler of the Frickin’ Universe. And He is not happy. And if He is not happy, I am not happy. And if I am not happy, you whiney sissies—sure as the Red Sea is wet—aren’t gonna be happy. As your prophet and deliverer, I will personally guarantee your misery.

You people have been complaining, grumbling, quarreling, whining, crying, belly-aching and guff-talking long enough. And it’s gonna stop. You don’t like me..? Well I’m not in love with you either. You’re one stiff-necked bunch of people, but you’re gonna learn some flexibility in a by-God quick hurry. We’re on a mission from God here, and we’re going to complete it or die trying.

I don’t have to be here, you know. I volunteered for this mission to save those worthless stiff necks of yours. I was adopted by Pharaoh’s daughter. I was raised in a palace as a flippin’ prince, but when I saw one of my Hebrew comrades being mistreated, I stepped up and did my duty and took out the Egyptian low-life who was doing the mistreating. Then I had to lamb it out to Midian to keep from being killed. I could’ve stayed there, too. I had a wife and flocks and herds to tend. But God called me up, and when God calls, you do your duty.

I was out watching over my livestock when I heard a voice call to me. “Moses! Moses! Take off your sandals, for you’re standing on Holy Ground.” And then I saw it—a bush on fire, but not consumed. Think of that, you bunch of sniveling whiners! God appeared as a living thing, giving off the source of all life. Heat, Light. Energy. Yet never being diminished at all. Not even a tiny bit.

I asked Him to tell me his name, and he just said, “I Am.” That’s right. God IS. From everlasting to everlasting.

So I accepted the rescue mission. It was dangerous, but I said “yes” because it’s my duty to be here for you people. Was I scared? Heck yeah! We’re all scared, but that’s why we all have each other’s backs.

This isn’t about me or what I’ve done. This is about what God has done. This isn’t your Ra-Ra Egyptian sacrifice-a-cow-so-the-Nile-doesn’t-flood sun god. This isn’t some golden statue. This is the God who called your ancestor Abraham to leave his home and find the Promised Land. This is the God who used your ancestor Joseph to save our people from famine. This is the God who inspired Egyptian midwives to stand up to Pharaoh and save you all from genocide. This is the God who rained ten of the un-godliest plagues ever known down on the heads of your oppressors and set you worthless slaves free from slavery. And this is the God who, when we were backed up against the Red Sea, parted the waters and wiped out the entire cavalry and infantry of the enemy. And if that wasn’t enough for you, this is the God who has provided your rations of manna and quail here in the wilderness.

Now just what more does God have to do for you before you learn to trust and obey Him?

Tomorrow we move out and advance to Mount Horeb where we will make camp and re-supply ourselves with water. We will also wait there to receive new orders (I believe there will be about ten of them). And let me remind you, these new orders will not be requests. They will not be suggestions. They will be the Commandments of God and you people will follow them, understood?

And a word about the water you’re going to get tomorrow: I guarantee you, you will be thirsty again. We’re in a desert, people, so you better make up your minds here and now to eat, drink, sleep wake, cough, sneeze, scratch your heads, and relieve your bladders in the trust of God. You will march ahead, or you will die as a people here in the wilderness.

Any questions?

Good. I’m delighted to see that the Children of Israel have such a large capacity for understanding the concept. You are dismissed.



Dear Readers,
I hope you’re having fun with my little flights of imagination during the season of Lent. I’ve actually written these fanciful monologues to be performed as sermons, as I believe that the wonderful characters of the Hebrew Scriptures have in their stories messages for the Christian Church today. Adam reminds us of God’s great forgiveness. Abraham, whose faith was reckoned as righteousness, still doubted as often as any of us. Moses, whom I was inspired to fashion as a military leader (I got the idea from my daughter, a US Army veteran), reminds us to trust in God by remembering what God has already done and continues to do for us. I will also be creating words for King David and Ezekiel too. As I read the stories in the Bible, I realize that they are still our stories, and are as contemporary as tomorrow.


A blessed Lenten season to you all. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment