Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Word From King David (Reflections on Lent 4, Year A)



Inspired by 1 Samuel 16:1-13

Dear and loyal subjects, may peace be upon you! You may be seated.

We have summoned you here today to offer our royal thanks for the loyalty, steadfastness, and courage you have shown us during the recent rebellion. Please know how deeply and sincerely grateful we are to acknowledge your sacrifices and your efforts to restore Israel to peace once again. May God hear our prayers and grant us a spirit of forbearance and reconciliation to mend the divisions which have riven our nation, and may we be united again as God’s chosen people.

We also wish to express our confidence in our loyal sons, the Princes Adonijah and Solomon. It is our hope that in years to come you will all be as loyal to them as you have been to us.

Now. If I may speak candidly. During the recent civil unrest there have been a lot of things on my mind. It’s hard to believe, but I have been king over Israel and Judah for almost forty years now. And some of you have served with me nearly as long. Where does the time go? It doesn’t seem but a few weeks ago that our great prophet Samuel came to my father’s home in Bethlehem and announced that God had told him to anoint a son of Jesse as the next king of our nation. We thought he was crazy. Saul was our king—and a pretty good one at that.

But Samuel was led by God to christen the one God had chosen. God, mind you. I didn’t choose kingship. God chose it for me. And no one thought that I would be the choice, either. I was still a boy. Just a teenager looking after my father’s sheep. What did I know about leading a nation?

You’ll remember we were at war with Philistia at the time. My three oldest brothers were in the army, and my father sent me to the front to bring them some provisions. The Philistines had this soldier named Goliath from Gath. Huge man. Big as a mountain. He’d stand behind their lines and insult our troops, challenging anyone to fight him single-handed.

I suppose you’ve all heard this story.

You know, I wasn’t really such a hero. As a shepherd I’d had to kill predatory animals with a sling so I knew I could kill a man with one. I just got off a lucky shot that day, and I’ve been a soldier ever since.

Saul loved me for that. And I loved him too—just as if he were a second father. Of course he was my father since I married his daughter, Michal. And during all the trouble we had together, I don’t think I ever hated him. At least I hope I didn’t. When I think of him now—four decades later—it’s with great fondness and pity. When he was killed at the battle of Mt. Gilboa (along with his son, Jonathan, who was a close friend of mine), I actually cried for him. I don’t think he was an evil man. I just think the power and the adulation went to his head.

Power and adulation. It certainly went to my head, too. I suppose that’s what I’ve really wanted to say to all of you. I trust that when the time comes for me to sleep with my ancestors that you will be honest about me. You may say that David defeated our enemies, brought the Ark of the Covenant to Zion, and established Jerusalem as our capital.  You may say his reign was, for the most part, peaceful and prosperous. But please remember that I have made mistakes and sinned before the Lord.

You all know about my transgressions, so we don’t have to bring up the details. You all know them. Perhaps the gravest consequence of my misdeeds was that they left me without moral authority in my own home. My sons Amnon and Absalom and my daughter Tamar all suffered because I failed as a father. Our nation has also suffered, and this current civil strife, which has caused all of us so much pain, is entirely my fault. For it, I take full responsibility. Please be sure that this is recorded in the scrolls of history. I was blinded by my own success, but now I think I see God’s justice more clearly.

We have been very prosperous these past forty years as a nation. But, I wonder if we have become rich in the things of God..? At least I feel that, in spite of all my mistakes, God has been kind and forgiving to me. The anointing I received at Bethlehem has never been washed off, and for that I am grateful and humbled.

I believe that’s all I want to share with you now. Excuse me as I retire to my quarters. I’ve felt very chilly lately, and I just can’t seem to get warm.

Oh..! I don’t know why I think of this. Please indulge me just a minute more. You know, in my youth I used to be something of a songwriter. Lately I’ve been remembering a prayer-song I wrote some years ago. Part of it went like this:

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with thy free spirit.


I still pray that a lot. Perhaps we all should.

No comments:

Post a Comment