Wednesday, July 31, 2024

A Word About Bread for Kids (Reflections on Pentecost 11, Year B 2024)

 

“I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.”

Since I started my full-time preaching career in the summer of 1997, I’ve had to endure nine summers when the Revised Common Lectionary sticks us with four consecutive Sundays in which the gospel lesson focuses on Jesus as the bread of life. Come to think of it, it’s actually five Sundays because the Sunday lesson which precedes all that bread is the story of the feeding of the 5,000. That’s a lot of bread. I mean, come on! Just how much can you say about bread?

Over the decades I’ve figured out ways to avoid this redundancy. I could always preach from the Hebrew scriptures or from the epistle lessons. Or—and I like this idea the best—I can go on vacation for a few of those four weeks and let someone else talk about Jesus being the bread of life. This summer I have a great Assisting Minister, the Rev. Natt Pour formerly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Liberia. I’m going to let him preach this Sunday. I feel confident Pastor Natt will rock the house. He has a rather thick accent so whatever he says will sound unique. Of course, many folks can’t understand a word he says anyway, so at least they won’t notice the repetition next Sunday. But, whatever Natt may lack in English pronunciation, he more than makes up for in preaching zeal. I’ll have one of the deacons tag in for me when I go on vacation in two weeks, so I’ll only have to come up with two bread of life sermons. (If you do this job long enough, you learn some tricks!)

But there’s one thing I can’t quite maneuver around. We’ve started a new program for kids at Faith. I do a quickie children’s sermon just before we read the week’s gospel lesson, then the kids leave the worship space and get a short, age-appropriate Bible lesson in an adjacent room. A lesson for preschoolers has always been a bit of a challenge for me since I have no biological children of my own and my teaching experience was mostly with middle school youth. I’m not sure I can make a meaningful analogy for the little tykes, but this is what I’m going to try:

I will show the children a half-eaten loaf of bread I’ve taken from the refrigerator in the church’s Fellowship Room. I’ll explain that bread is one of the most common foods eaten by people on the planet, and ask the youngsters if they ever eat bread and how do they eat it. I’ll try to explain that when we pray “Give us this day our daily bread” we’re really asking God to see to all our needs.

So far so good?

I will then explain that I keep the bread I use to make my lunch at church in the refrigerator. It might get a little dry or stale that way, but I toast it so I don’t mind. I’ll ask them what they think would happen if I just left the bread out. I hope they’ll understand that the bread will eventually go bad if it’s not refrigerated or eaten in a timely manner. If they get that, I can tell them there are some things which don’t go bad—ever.  

Jesus came to teach us about love and sharing and kindness to others. He wanted us to look out for one another. If we really believe in this love, it won’t ever leave us. We can be thankful for and loving to our moms and dads, our brothers and sister, our teachers and friends, and everyone we meet. The love we feel inside will never spoil unless we let it. We can eat bread today and be hungry tomorrow, but the love Jesus teaches will give us joy forever.

Do you think children will understand that? I hope so. At least that’s what I’ll try to teach them. It’s just too bad there are so many grown-ups who have never learned this.

Thanks for reading, my friend. May you have a blessed week and always enough “bread” for your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment