Thursday, October 26, 2017

Saint of the Month: Chancellor Angela Merkel

Image result for angela merkel
Comedian Seth Meyer called her “The Leader of the Free World.” I’m not so sure he was just joking. She is certainly the world’s most prominent and important Lutheran; therefore, as we prepare to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Luther’s audacious criticism of the Roman Catholic Church, I think it’s only fitting that I give a shout-out to Germany’s Angela Merkel.

The German Chancellor, the longest-serving head of state in the European Union, was born the daughter of a Lutheran pastor. As a young girl, she moved with her family to East Germany. There, in spite of the communist state’s official atheism, she attended church, Christian youth camps, and developed the faith and character that would serve her as a servant of the German people.

As country after country in the Euro Zone faced economic chaos, Merkel has proven to be the adult in the room—a feisty pragmatist who is willing to steer the ship through some very rocky waters. Perhaps she’s a little too practical and errs too much on the side of fiscal responsibility (I’m not sure I’d vote for her if she were an American politician, but I will admit that she shows a lot of common sense!). Nevertheless, as the great humanitarian catastrophe—the tsunami of refugees from the conflict in Syria—flooded over Europe, Merkel’s was the voice raised in compassion and mercy.

Jesus has told us, “I was a stranger and you welcomed me…Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” (Matthew 25: 35 and 40).

So what is the Christian response to the largest refugee crisis since the Second World War? I don’t think it’s to impose a travel ban on those who are homeless and desperate to escape violence. It’s not to lock the boarders. Mercy and charity demand that people of good will do what is necessary to comfort and welcome the afflicted. In spite of heavy opposition, the chancellor opened Germany’s doors to receive immigrants from Syria and Africa. She has suffered politically as a result, but her willingness to put mercy ahead of politics speaks to her character.

Standing her ground against xenophobes and extreme nationalists, Merkel remarked in 2011 that Germany did not suffer from too much Islam, but from too little Christianity. She would later declare, "I am a member of the evangelical church. I believe in God and religion is also my constant companion, and has been for the whole of my life. We as Christians should above all not be afraid of standing up for our beliefs.

I admire the chancellor for her courageous compassion during this humanitarian nightmare. I will pray for her as she faces opposition from the ultra-nationalist Alternative for Germany Party, with whom she must now share governing responsibilities. But I will also ponder the words on the Statue of Liberty and wonder what has happened to American leadership.


No comments:

Post a Comment