Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Don't Trust Authority (Reflections on Pentecost 18, Year A 2026)

 


When he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him as he was teaching and said, “By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?”
(Matthew 21:23)

It was April 30, 1992. I left my home in the North Hollywood neighborhood of Los Angeles very early that morning because one of the worst civil disturbances in American history had broken out in the city the night before. The school where I was teaching was all the way down in the Harbor area, and I’d been advised to circumnavigate around my usual commuter route and avoid the parts of the city where the violence had broken out. Traffic was light, and I arrived in Harbor City so early I found I had time for a quick breakfast at a Denny’s. I brought with me the latest Book of the Month Club selection, Hitler: The Path to Power by Charles Bracelen Flood[i].

As I was in line at the register to pay my bill, the elderly gentleman standing behind me noticed der Fuhrer’s picture on the dust jacket of the book and said to me in his slight German accent, “I see you’ve brought the right book for this morning.” The old fellow explained to me that he had been born in Germany and had fled the country when the Nazis came to power. He told me there were many in his native land who were uncomfortable with a republic-style government and actually wanted a dictator to sort out the chaos. In times of confusion and unrest, such as we in L.A. were experiencing that morning, people don’t want to think for themselves. They’re much more comfortable being told what to do by someone with authority.

The question of authority is central in the gospel lesson for Pentecost 19, Year A in the RCL (Matthew 21:23-32). The elders of the people ask Jesus where his authority comes from. He might have just as easily asked them where their authority came from. Like the Germans the old gentleman at the Denny’s told me about, some people want the Church to have authority. They want everything to be black or white, good or bad. Just tell us what’s right and what’s wrong, they say. Denominations with strict rules are always popular. No drinking, no gambling, no smoking, no dancing, no pre-marital sex, no abortion, no same-gender relationships, no Halloween costumes, no reading Harry Potter books, etc. You get the idea. Religion is easy when the Church lays down the rules and tells you how to think.

But a curious thing about Jesus is he rarely uses his authority so directly. He rarely gives a straight answer when questioned. He often turns the question back on the questioner and makes them figure it out for themselves. He answers what appear to be simple questions with clever stories. He confuses Nicodemus and the woman at the well. When John the Baptist’s disciples ask him point blank if he’s the Messiah, he doesn’t say yes or no. He tells them to report what they’ve seen him do, and then do the math[ii]. He certainly has no intention of discussing his authority with the elders in Matthew 21. They wouldn’t believe him anyway.

I would say the Church’s authority comes from the Scriptures, and the Scriptures’ authority comes from what they tell us about Jesus Christ. And his authority comes not from what he says (profound as it is), but from what he does. Jesus welcomes the stranger. He pardons the sinner. He gives food to the hungry. He heals the sick. He defends the vulnerable. He is the embodiment of sacrificial love and gives up his life on the cross. And, by defeating death, he inspires us to hope and charity.

If the Church is to have any authority, it must come from doing the work of Jesus. I may have all the right answers to the theological questions, but I so often find myself asking at the end of the day, “Did I serve the Lord today? Did I do the works of God?”

I’m a Baby Boomer. I grew up in a time when we all wanted to challenge authority. I guess the first son in Jesus’ parable is like that too. He doesn’t want a dictator. If the Old Man tells him to go to work in the vineyard, he’s not about to grab his tools and head outside without thinking about it first. Yet, somehow, he changed his mind. I guess he realized the grapes needed to be tended, and that pruning the vines would be in everyone’s best interest. His decision didn’t come from an outside authority, but from the promptings of his heart.

 Many of my generation (and almost all of subsequent generations) weren’t about to blindly accept Christianity just because our parents told us to. But, in our own time, some of us changed our minds and found our way back into the Church. We found faith, not dogma. Jesus wouldn’t want us to be blind, mindless followers. He’d want us to have the fulness of faith—a faith which comes from questioning, doubting, and ultimately doing.

Let’s just keep doing the work Jesus taught us: forgiving, healing, feeding, caring, and loving. That’s where the true authority lies.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog this week. I hope these thoughts were meaningful to you. Please let me know if there’s something you’d like me to write about. God bless you this week!



[i] Hitler: The Path to Power by Charles Bracelen Flood (Houghton Mifflin, 1989). Actually, a pretty interesting book. It explores a little of the dynamics my fellow diner was telling me about.

[ii] See John chapters 3 & 4 and Luke chapter 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment