Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Saint of the Month: Howard Brooks (Reflections on Easter 4, Year C)



“My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand.” (John 10:27-28)

So how are you? Are you still rejoicing? Still amped up with celebrating the resurrection of our Lord? I hope so. Easter is, after all, a pretty long festival in our liturgical calendar. It lasts for fifty days, but, when you think about what it means, we have no reason to stop the party—ever.

So far our Sunday Gospel lessons have been stories of a post-resurrected Jesus. This Sunday, however, we get a reminder of what a resurrected Jesus means for us. It’s simply this: our life is eternal. Death has been conquered, and we are living in the reality of eternity. We belong to God in Christ, and no one and no circumstance is going to change this. Our shepherd knows every sheep in the flock, and he’s got our backs. Our life is eternal. Our problems are temporary.

Personally, I think this is pretty good thing to keep in mind as life—even during Easter season—can hurl some pretty gooey slop our way. Sometimes I just pine for that promise of eternal rest when I try to fight off the weariness of parish ministry and all of its relentless personal and financial challenges. I wish I could take a little break after the onslaught of Lent and Holy Week, but I have Ministerium matters which need attending, people who need visiting, our annual church fair, and a growing number of non-member funerals which this week include a joint service for an engaged couple killed in an auto accident. This stuff just doesn’t let up.

Fortunately, I can take comfort in the promise of scripture when I confront my own sense of bereavement.

Yesterday, Howard Brooks, a dear friend to my wife and myself, was called home after ninety-six brilliant years here on earth. If you ever met him, you would certainly adore him every bit as much as we did. A more lovable man never drew breath. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a more engagingly joyful smile. I would go so far as to describe Howard’s countenance as iridescent. When his smile was aimed at you, a smile of your own would have to follow. The man radiated a benign good will which transcended the bitter experience of his young adulthood.

Howard served in the U S Navy during World War II on the cruiser USS Houston. In her second engagement against the Imperial Japanese Navy, the Houston was sunk off the coast of Java. Two thirds of her crew were lost with the ship. The remaining survivors—to a man—were captured by the Japanese. Howard Brooks became a POW in the merciless jungles of Burma, forced into slave labor to build a railroad for the enemy. Oppressive heat, malnutrition, exhaustion, disease, injury, infection, the death of comrades, and the brutality of his captors were Howard’s 24/7 companions for three and one-half years. Survival in this hellish environment was nothing short of miraculous for the men who endured it.

My wife, Marilyn, met Howard and his wife, Silvia, at a community function a few years ago. Marilyn, who is involved with several veterans’ organizations, spotted Howard’s USS Houston ball cap and began a conversation with him. She quickly learned his story. I’m glad she did, as knowing Mr. and Mrs. Brooks has been an utter delight. We’ve shared meals and outings and hosted each other in our homes. I never recall Howard seeming fatigued. He was always charming, interested, and ready to share his erudite learning. Marilyn and I were particularly pleased with the relationship he had with our daughter, a US Army vet. The two hit it off as colleagues. Howard’s personality seemed ageless.

I was always astounded by his vitality and good humor. While touring a museum I once remarked, “Howard, you walk as fast as I do.” He replied, “Yes, but not as far.”

What was his secret? When asked how he had been able to live through the nightmare of his captivity, Howard declared that he never lost faith that he and his buddies would one day be rescued. He never feared that he had been forgotten, and he never doubted the righteousness of the Allied cause. In later years, he found in his heart forgiveness for his captors, and I have never known a man so free from bitterness.

Faith and hope and forgiveness and love. The qualities of Howard Brooks must be the characteristics of all who are in Christ. Marilyn and I will certainly miss Howard, but we rest in the blessed assurance we shall see him again. The sting of death is swallowed up in victory.

“Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant, Howard. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the company of all your saints in light. Amen” (from Occasional Services, Augsburg Press, 1982)

Rejoice, fellow sheep. Christ is risen.

PS- If you wish to hear Howard’s courageous story told in his own words, please click here.

PPS-I plan to introduce a shipmate of Howard’s as next month’s Saint of the Month in honor of Memorial Day, so keep watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment