Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Rejoice, You Sloppy Christians! (Reflections on Advent 3, Year C)


John said to the crowds that came out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruits worthy of repentance.” (Luke 3:7-8a)


What’s up with this?

Image result for gaudete sundayThe Third Sunday of Advent has been known since the ninth century as Guadete Sunday. That’s when the Church decided to shorten the period of Advent from forty days, as it had been since the fifth century, to a mere four weeks. But, they still kept this little “party day” in the middle of the season so waiting and fasting wouldn’t be too much of a downer. Guadete is Latin for “Rejoice,” and it was the first word spoken in the liturgy for this festival Sunday (See the epistle lesson from Philippians 4). We symbolize the up-beat nature of the day by lighting a pink candle on the Advent wreath and singing something happy and Christmassy like “Joy to the World.”

The problem, however, is trying to celebrate a “Rejoice Sunday” when the words of John the Baptist in the Gospel lesson (Luke 3:7-18) sound more like “Kick-Butts-and-Take-Names Sunday.” I mean, John just doesn’t sound like a happy camper. I don’t know of anybody who’d feel particularly joyful to have John call them a snake and threaten them with being thrown into the fire. Yet this tongue-lashing from the Baptist is necessary. Sitting around waiting for God to come and fix our lives, our churches, or our world just won’t get the job done. We are called to repentance, to actively embrace social justice, rigorous honesty, and a commitment to the Gospel. And John tells us we better start bearing some fruit.

Can we be honest? I love my little parish in Philadelphia, but at times I’m worried about her health. In the time I’ve served here I’ve seen Lutheran churches in my synod and conference fold up like beer cans hit by Mac trucks. The ax is lying at the root of the tree. Good doctrine and liturgy don’t seem to be enough to save us. After all, God is able to raise up Lutherans from rocks if he wants to. But can Lutherans rise to the challenge of bearing fruit? What should we do?

I’d say it’s pretty obvious. We need to rediscover discipline. Discipline in prayer. Discipline in worship attendance. Discipline in worship itself (Yeah. I’ve got to talk to folks about bringing their Dunkin Donuts coffee into the worship space during mass!). Discipline in Bible study. Discipline to serve as examples for our children. Discipline in fellowship and care for each other. Discipline in volunteering. Discipline in giving.

Those first century Christians were willing to die for their faith. We don't seem to be willing to be inconvenienced for ours. Is it any wonder what's happening?

I’ve heard it said that the signature of mediocrity is chronic inconsistency. I like to think I’m a pretty nice guy, and I hate to get on anyone’s case. Forgiveness and forbearance are my business. But: I am witnessing a lack of consistency in my congregation which I can only understand as a lack of commitment and a lack of respect. I hate to say it, but there it is and I have to put it in words. This is why the Church, in her wisdom, has punctuated the season of Advent with the admonitions of John the Baptist. We need to be told while we are still in the pre-Christmas party mode that faith is made real in actions, and that a true trust in God will only manifest itself to the world if we who are in the Church are willing to get off our lazy butts and do the work of God.


But here’s the good news. We serve a gracious and loving God who wants to come into our hearts. If we’re willing to let him in, he’ll burn away the chaff of indifference, apathy, and fear. The change in our lives will be phenomenal—and that will be cause for rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment