Thursday, January 19, 2012

"The Kingdom of God Has Come Near" (Thoughts on Epiphany 3)

What could make someone quit his or her job? Especially now, when unemployment is so high and money is so scarce?

Last night --yes, I'll admit it--I was watching that gargantuan of all TV talent competitions American Idol, and I was struck by the story of one contestant, a young husband with his first child on the way, who actually quit his secure job in order to pursue his dream of being a professional entertainer. I certainly wish this boy well--after all, he seemed like a nice enough kid--but I'm amazed by the strength of the vision and belief which would inspire him to give up security for himself and his family and embark on a very risky and uncertain career. I thought to myself, This young man must love his music a LOT!

Today as I look at the Revised Common Lectionary for the Third Sunday after the Epiphany, I am again struck by the same courage--or foolishness--which inspired Peter and Andrew and James and John to leave their settled lives, families, and careers and follow an itinerant rabbi from another village into God knows what future.

The story itself, on the surface, seems unbelievable. I mean, I can't see myself going to the Philadelphia Building Trades union hall which is in the process of renovation next door to my church and telling the workers, "Follow me, and I will make you builders for the Kingdom of God!" They'd probably laugh and then tell me to get the you-know-what away from them so they could finish their work. In order to drop everything and embark on a new adventure as Mark's gospel says the fisherman did, one would have to be extremely desperate or extremely inspired or both.

So what was it about Jesus and his message that was so transformational? I suspect that times being what they were, there was most likely a bit of desperation in the lives of these men. They were feeling a longing for change, but had no idea what kind of change to make. Perhaps they never dreamed any change was really possible, and had fallen into despair--a condition which Luther called a "great and shameful" sin.

But what did Jesus tell them?

"The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God has come near; repent and believe the good news" (Mark 1:15)

For our post-modern theology, it might be a good idea to think about what is meant by the "Kingdom of God.' I, for one, do not see the Kingdom as some distant paradise waiting beyond death. Jesus said, "The time is fulfilled," that is, the moment is NOW. The God who IS creation, who IS love, who IS existence is active in this very moment. As the old hymn says, "This IS my Father's world." There is nothing more for which we need wait. The miracle of life and consciousness itself has not ceased to be a miracle. We have not been abandoned. God has not ceased to be with and in us, nor has God ceased to be good simply because we have refused to look beyond our own circumstances. God's moment is always NOW.

So what do we do? We take today and NOW as a moment of repentance. And what is repentance but the constant challenging of our own assumptions. It's the call to change our minds. Whatever it is that you're thinking, can you think it in a different way? Our selfish, sinful nature loves to tell us lies to keep us from being hurt--or so we think. We're full of "I can'ts" or "if onlys." A life of repentance challenges us to challenge ourselves. Is there a new way in which I can see my abilities? My purpose? My relationships with others? Am I telling myself the truth?

Finally, Jesus challenges us to BELIEVE the good news. So what is that? Contextually, I would say in this passage it is the reign of God. But it is the question of belief that offers the great challenge. BELIEF comes from an Old English word which means "to desire." It's not enough to agree intellectually that something might be true. If you believe, you desire that truth. Without belief, there is no action. Without action, there is no change. Without change, there is stagnation and death.

Martin Luther wrote, "When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said "Repent (Matthew 4:17)," he meant for the entire life of believers to be one of repentance." (95 Theses, 1517)

Far from a command for shame and confession, Luther's words are a mandate for constant change and constant spiritual growth.

May God be with you, my friends. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Leave me a comment, and have a beautiful week!

1 comment:

  1. A younger Catholic guy says keep the entries coming. Found your blog checking in on the good people of Faith Lutheran. Mom/Helen and Stepdad/Chuck are doing well in Tennessee. -Scott (Jackson)

    ReplyDelete