Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Where Do You Get Authority? (Reflections on Pentecost 18, Year A 2023)

 


“When (Jesus) entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him as he was teaching, and said, ‘By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?’” (Matthew 21:23)

So what’s all this about authority ?I have to confess I sometimes act like the chief priests and elders in the gospel reading assigned for Pentecost 18, Year A in the Revised Common Lectionary (Matthew 21:23-32) when the subject of ecclesiastical authority comes up. In a way, I sympathize with these guys. When some yokel shows up out of nowhere and claims to speak for God the same way I claim to do, I want to see some credentials. You know what really gets my Fruit of the Looms in a bunch? Universal Life Church so-called “ordinations.” Okay. I’m usually a pretty mellow old guy—usually—but a sly, sardonic, and somewhat un-Christian smirk may begin to creep across my face when someone tells me they are an ordained minister of that specious denomination. The ULC has no official doctrine, no structure, and no actual congregations. They have, however, popped out “ordinations” like a Pez dispenser. With a few mouse clicks on the ULC website any bozo can claim to be an ordained clergyperson. It’s estimated there are over 18 million ULC “clergy” worldwide since the organization started cranking out ordinations in 1962.[i]

I have to ask by what authority are these individuals ministers? I can tell you by what authority I can call myself a minister: I hold a Masters of Divinity degree from a state accredited seminary, I’ve been approved by a national church body affiliated with a 500-year-old internationally recognized denomination, and I’ve been called by the good folks of Faith Lutheran of Philadelphia to serve as their pastor. I guess I could say my authority comes from the Lutheran Church and from the people of God. But, really, the authority of any Christian only comes from Jesus Christ.[ii]

I’ve got to be honest here. I don’t actually have any more ecclesiastical authority than the next guy. All the baptized in Christ have his authority to forgive, to pray, to love and welcome, and to offer up their quotidian tasks in service to God. I just get the fun job of keeping church order and talking about Jesus on Sunday mornings.

Jesus is a pretty clever guy. He knows that when his authority is questioned by folks who think only they have authority, any answer he gives is going to get shot in the butt. I mean, you just can’t argue with people who’ve already decided you’re wrong. What’s he going to say? “My authority comes from being the only begotten Son of God?” That answer is going to go over like a bad smell. So will saying, “My authority comes from the fact that I’m right and you dudes aren’t.” That might be true, but it won’t sit any better with the high muckety-mucks. Jesus can only prove his authority by showing his deeds have an effect. He’s the one healing the sick. He’s the one inviting the lost and the outcast. He’s the one forgiving the sinners. He’s the one feeding the hungry. He’s the one bringing hope. Wisely, Jesus throws the question of authority back on his inquisitors and gives them yet another splendid opportunity to reveal their ignorance and arrogance.

But back to that issue of authority. If my authority as a pastor comes from the Church, where does the Church’s authority come from? I’ll bet a lot of young folks would ask that question today. It isn’t enough to have “sound doctrine.” That doctrine has to accomplish something. That’s why Jesus follows up his verbal fencing with the priests and elders by telling them the parable of the two sons and asking which does the will of the father—the one who says the right thing or the one who does the right thing? The epistle of James puts it very nicely:

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill’, and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. But someone will say, ‘You have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith without works, and I by my works will show you my faith.[iii]

Authority is revealed by its actions. When Matthew wrote his gospel the Church was under some nasty, violent persecution. To survive, those who trusted in the authority of Jesus had to put that trust to work. I think we’re in pretty much the same boat today in America. No one is going to send Christians into the arena or burn us at the stake, but our churches are bleeding out like a ruptured artery. Once upon a time we sat at the center of American culture. Not anymore. People will not respect our authority unless they see it do some good.

Personally, I think being on the margins might be doing us some good. Our new position forces us all into a deeper commitment to Christ and an excited willingness to act on his authority. I grant not all of us are about to start new and ground-breaking social ministry organization, nor will we begin marching in the streets demanding justice for all God’s creatures. We might, if we’ve reached a “certain age,” consider a life well-lived in obedience to the gospel has granted us the ability to speak authoritatively to our grandchildren about matters of spirituality and faith. I would hope we are able to say in all blessed humility, “I am who I am because He is who He is.”

God’s peace be with you, my friend. Please stop by again.



[i] I got his figure from Wikipedia (Where else?). They cite an article by Lauren Bishop in the Cincinnati Inquirer from April 14, 2007 entitled “Ordained for the Occasion”.

[ii] I guess I shouldn’t be so hard on the ULC, but I have to draw a line somewhere. I’ve done cooperative worship services and events with many Christian denominations as well as Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists. I’m an ecumenist, but not a Universalist. If you say you believe in everything, you probably don’t practice anything. We all should find our path and walk it with discipline and integrity.

[iii] James 2:14-18

No comments:

Post a Comment