Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Saint of the Month: Willie


Willie Nelson, of course.

The old dude is eighty-five years of age and just as defiant, original, creative, and talented as ever. Kind of gives you hope, doesn’t it?

Now, I’ll grant that this income-tax-delinquent, unrepentant dope-smoking, four-times-married iconoclast may not appear to be a good example of moral piety and rectitude. I really don’t care. I’ve just always dug Willie. There’s just something about the very serene way he seems to be telling us all that, if we don’t like it, we can apply our lips to his posterior (metaphorically speaking) which makes it impossible not to like him.

Willie may not be the most orthodox of believers. He’s sort of a Christian with Hindu overtones and a bit of the Rastafarian thrown in to add seasoning. In his 1988 autobiography, he describes how he had an epiphany that all things are in God, and theology has always been an interest of his. Unfortunately, as a young man the budding theologian was forced to quit his gig as a Baptist Sunday School teacher when pious church-goers complained he was a bad influence because he sang and played in bars on Saturday nights.

But, as Luther teaches, we are all both saint and sinner. And as James, the Lord’s brother teaches, faith without works is dead (James 2:17). And Willie has certainly demonstrated saintliness through his works. He has been the tireless advocate for the American family farmer through his Farm Aid concerts. He raised his voice to denounce the Iraq war and to support LGBTQ rights. He’s championed renewable energy by his production and use of biofuels. He’s joined Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke in denouncing the Trump administration’s policy of separating migrant children from their parents at the border. Whether or not you agree with his use of weed, I think, on balance, Willie has done more good than harm.

Personally, I just like the guy’s style. There is a gentle way in both his music and his character which says that it’s alright to be exactly who you are. In his non-abrasive way, he just doesn’t seem to give a crap about what others think. I also dig the fact that he loves to revive old tunes. His 1978 Stardust album was a departure from his outlaw country music. He recorded, and continues to perform, some of the loveliest melodies from America’s golden age of pop standards—Gershwin, Cole Porter, Mercer Ellington, etc. You just have to love an eighty-four-year-old hippie in pigtails and a graphic T-shirt crooning Hoagy Carmichael. He did the album because, he said, “There’s a whole generation of young people who’ve never heard these songs.” God bless you, Willie, for keeping theses tunes alive and making them sound so cool.

But, for my money, Willie’s best and most under-appreciated album is one I found at a Borders Book Store in White Plains, NY back in 1996. It’s a collection of classic American gospel tunes he recorded with his sister, Bobbie, who plays the piano. The 1990 album is called Old Time Religion. It includes “I’d Rather Have Jesus,” “Lily of the Valley,” “I’ll Fly Away,” “Are You Washed in the Blood,” and a bunch of other great old-time gospel songs my dad probably sang in Sunday School. It’s my tradition to play this album to wake myself up every Easter morning. I put it on my car stereo as I drive through the pre-dawn darkness on my way to Sunrise Service. And I sing along, too. The Resurrection of Our Lord is always sweet when I share it with Willie.

No comments:

Post a Comment