Wednesday, June 21, 2017

For Christ's Sake, Tell the Truth! (Reflections on Pentecost 3, Year A)

As some of my readers know, I have often whimsically nick-named myself “The Red Baron of Neighborhood Funerals.” (I guess I could’ve picked another individual known for achieving a high score in his field like Barry Bonds or Bill Gates, but “Red Baron” is so swaggeringly romantic, don’t you think..?) I’ve presided at over 500 funeral services, mostly for people I’ve never met. I often, in preparation for the eulogy, ask their family member this question: What’s the one thing you want everyone to know about your departed loved one? Nine times out of ten the answer will be “She really loved her family.”

Strangely, in all of those hundreds of conversations, I don’t recall anyone ever answering by saying, “She/he really loved the Lord.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not questioning the faith of anyone of the dear departed or the piety of their survivors. I’m just pointing out how much we love our families, and how difficult the gospel lesson in the Revised Common Lectionary appointed for Pentecost 3 Year A (Matthew 10:24-39) might be to hear. It talks about divisions in the family and has verses like this one:

“Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” (Matt. 10:37)

That’s some pretty rough stuff to choke down! Don’t we make loyalty to our family a priority? Granted, we don’t live in the time of the New Testament when a commitment to Jesus would mean being thrown out of our families and out of the larger societal family as well. But I think most of us know that an allegiance to the teachings of Jesus—faithfulness to the cause of righteousness—can have some pretty crappy family consequences. Sometimes it feels like someones’s ripping a part of your body off and beating you with it.

Some years ago my daughter Sandra, feeling that her work for a major corporation was not a considerable enough contribution to society, joined the US Army Reserve. While on deployment in the Middle East, she reported one of her NCO’s for a serious violation of regulation. The soldier was reprimanded, but Sandra was shunned as a snitch by her fellow soldiers, her promotion was blocked, and her life was made a living hell through constant—and sometimes physical—intimidation in retaliation for her doing what she knew was the right thing. She was viewed as having been disloyal to the “family.” Few things can bring us so much pain in this life.

The truth is, we just don’t want our family secrets to get out. We don’t want anyone to be offended. We don’t want anyone to be mad at us, and we struggle constantly with juggling kindness and consideration and shame with righteousness and wholeness. We keep quiet about the sexual, physical, or verbal abuse we have endured or known others have endured. We lie for those who violate the company rules or their marriage vows, we let our junkie child sleep in our house and never dream of forcing that child into a position where he must deal with his own demons.

We have this awful horror, you see, of severing the family relationship. To do that would be a kind of death.

But our soul is dying by inches already. And it’s not like others haven’t already sniffed out our deception. Or like it won’t come to light eventually anyway. 

Jesus warns us that discipleship has a cost. He doesn’t say the Christian life is going to be a trip to Disneyland. Proclaiming him and his loving righteousness is going to piss people off. But there are worse consequences for our own well-being if we chicken out in our proclamation.

Did you ever see that great musical Les Miserables? There’s a song lyric that succinctly makes Jesus’ point in verse 10:28. Jean Valjean, the ex-con who has broken parole and started a new life, learns that a man who looks just like him has been arrested in his place. He knows he will be sent back to prison if he corrects the mistaken identity. He also knows the cruelty the innocent man will face in prison. In a poignant and powerful solo he sings, “If I speak I am condemned. If I keep silent I am damned.”

Jesus knows how hard our obedience to the truth can be. After all, wasn’t he hated in his own time for violating the selfish interests of others? The gospel lesson challenges us with the painful necessity of loving the world through our obedience to God.


Thanks for reading, Family. BTW, if you want to hear Hugh Jackman sing the song from Les Miserables I referenced above, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment