Thursday, October 15, 2015

Why Joel Osteen Irritates Me (Reflections on Pentecost 21, Year B)

Did you miss me?

I haven’t been posting for a couple of weeks. I’ve been away on vacation and, prior to that, I just sort of let stuff get away from me. I was in a pretty nasty car wreck earlier last month. My ride was totaled, so I had to do a lot of running around to the wrecking yard and meeting with insurance folks and things like that. Then my church was broken into and vandalized by some neighborhood punk. I know it was a neighborhood punk because any self-respecting junkie would’ve stolen the microphones from our praise band. This burglar just stole some religious articles after trashing my office, ripping the crucifix off the wall of the narthex, and scrawling incomprehensible graffiti in our entrance way. (The graffiti was incomprehensible because the “F word” was the only word spelled correctly.)

Oh..! Then I caught a nasty cold. While I was busy sniffling with that, I learned that the insurance company is dropping the church’s coverage because of too many claims, and the new coverage will cost over $3,000 a year more while we’re already running a serious deficit and will probably have to lay off some staff next year. Then I got a call to do a funeral for a 26-year-old victim of a heroin overdose.

Do you miss me now?

I’m such a whiner I can hardly stand myself. No. Really. I’m sorry I unloaded all this crap on you. After all, you never did anything to me. Forgive me my trespass. Forgive me for crossing over onto your property when you have more than enough crap of your own to deal with.

Whoever said being a Christian was going to be easy? (I think it was Joel Osteen). Truth be told, if we think living a good and virtuous life will give us nothing but good and virtuous things we’re really kidding ourselves. In last week’s gospel (Mark 10:17-31), it seemed like old Peter was looking for some kind of compliment or reward from Jesus because he’d left everything and embraced an uncertain life of poverty and persecution to follow the Lord. But Jesus didn’t play his game. He told him that the only thing he could expect to be rewarded with in this life would be more persecutions.

In this week’s lesson, James and John still think there’s going to win some Publisher’s Clearing House prize for being followers of Jesus. They don’t quite get this crucifixion thing Jesus has been talking about, and they really think there will be an earthly kingdom where they can be Vice President and Secretary of State when Jesus reigns in glory and splendor (In Matthew’s gospel, they don’t ask Jesus for this reward: their mom asks for them. I think that’s kind of sweet, don’t you?).

All Jesus can tell these ambitious lads is that they are going to suffer as he will suffer, but he can’t guarantee them any prize for doing it (vv. 39-40). All he can do is exhort them to lives of service and humility.

I guess some happy tooth fairy of a TV evangelist can promise Christians great riches and rewards, but to me that is more superstition than religion. Thinking we can influence God is a false belief. True faith is believing that God influences us—even when we must sometimes drink from the cup of sorrow. God owes us no favors, and our humble acts of service are not what makes God love us. They are the result of knowing that God already does love us. They are the response to Christ suffering along with us out of pure love, and knowing that—on our worst days—God has not stopped being good just because we have chosen not to look at God’s goodness.

It is good to have you visit, my friend. May you feel God’s blessings this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment