Thursday, July 2, 2015

Saint of the Month: George Carlin




Yes, I mean THAT George Carlin. The foul-mouthed, irreverent, frequently offensive stand-up comedian who gave us “The Seven Words You Can’t Say on Television.”

Why, you may legitimately ask, am I including in my hagiology a known atheist and blasphemer whose soul—many fundamentalists may hope—is currently slow-roasting on a spit in the darkest circle of damnation? Here’s why:

In his last years, the cranky comic seemed to get a bit more philosophical and became more of a humorist. That is, Carlin didn’t seem to be so much intent on making us laugh as making us think. In the link provided below, he paints a picture of Christianity which, I don’t doubt, many take to be an accurate representation of our faith.

So okay. The guy was a comic and his chief aim was to be funny (which he certainly was). But if he ridiculed religion, don’t you think there’s a good chance he found something in it that’s ridiculous? To me, guys like Carlin keep guys like me honest. If I can see our faith as non-believers might see it, I am called to be a better apologist, a better preacher, and a better evangelist. It isn’t enough that I know what I believe. I can only be effective if I try to understand what non-Christians believe. My challenge, and the challenge of all of us who love Jesus, the gospel, and our Trinitarian orthodoxy, is to find a vocabulary which speaks the truth we feel in our hearts to a world that can’t accept Christianity as it has been presented to them.

Let’s let our guard down a little, okay? Let’s really listen to the secular world. Let’s not try to win an argument, but find an expression of the peace and love we have found in Jesus which speaks a coherent language to those searching for meaning.

I’d like to suggest that you listen to this routine by George Carlin and then think about how you might intelligently respond. Try it as an exercise in your own faith.

To hear Carlin’s famous rant, click here.

WARNING: This link contains EXTREME language which some might find offensive, and ideas with which you will not agree. Watch it at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment