Thursday, June 5, 2014

Reflections on Pentecost

Alright. This is probably the dumbest illustration I can think of for the Day of Pentecost, but here goes: Some time ago, just for kicks and giggles, my wife and I took our shih tzu dog Greta to a pet psychic. We made an appointment with a dreamy, new-agey chick named Emerald who claimed she could commune with Greta's inner thoughts and tell us why our doggie acts so berserk whenever we try to take her out anywhere. Emerald went into some kind of mild trance and then explained that Greta is just full of enthusiasm when she encounters a new place with new smells and she can't understand why her human Mommy and Daddy aren't as enthused as she is.

Okay. That's one possible explanation. Personally, I think it's just that Greta is a hyper little doggie whom I haven't trained very well.

But this got me to thinking about enthusiasm. The very word comes from the Greek and means to be possessed by God. This is the concept which under-girds our understanding of the third Person of the Holy Trinity. The Holy Spirit is God in us. If we recognize that our very life and breath are the manifestation of the Creator God, ought we not to be enthused? I don't necessarily mean that we should be jumping and leaping around the church like my little dog does, but I wonder how often we go to church and really experience the joy of the Lord. Or even expect to experience it.

What are you enthused about? Do you approach the throne of grace with a sense of excitement in your heart the way my dog approaches me when I come home at night? Does the exquisite love of God burn within you?

Looking at the gospel lesson for the Day of Pentecost, Jesus approaches the disciples when they have locked themselves up because of fear and blesses them with, “Peace be with you.” (John 20:19) In other words, he drives out the fear so that they can be full of the spirit. Think about it: can you be both frightened and enthusiastic at the same time? I can't. One emotion will always overcome the other. Yet in this story Jesus gives the Church the power to overcome. Yes, if we retain the sins of any—retaining our guilt or fear or prejudice or arrogance—such sins are retained. But if we let them go, God will remove them from us as far as the east is from the west.

To me, part of the glory of Pentecost is the story of theses twelve scared men suddenly finding their enthusiasm, unlocking their doors, and going out among the people with a fire for the good news of Jesus Christ. Their fear of death, ostracism, ridicule, or anything else was subordinated to their overpowering desire to bring the blessing of Christ's love and healing to the world.

So I ask you again: What are you enthused about? Are you more passionate to see justice and mercy done in Jesus' name than you are afraid of spending a few bucks, being inconvenienced, or looking silly?

Enthusiasm. It's to be possessed by God. God the Father Almighty.

Not God the Father the relatively big.

Not God the Father the pretty darn strong.

But God the Father Almighty who can fill you and use you to God's glory. So get enthused!

PS-God in the Holy Spirit created the Church on Pentecost. The WHOLE Christian Church. I think this is a good day to think about the unity of the Church, don't you? If you're Lutheran or Roman Catholic, why not use today to make an effort to nudge our two communions a little closer together? I think the Spirit is willing! Just sign my petition for Eucharistic sharing here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment